Monday, June 2, 2008

Fill 'er up!

Forgive me, but my mind turned to dark things just now. I was thinking about a recent shopping experience I had, and I wondered what it would have been like if the store was robbed while I was there. My unfortunate fantasy didn't make it far, because when the would-be thief demanded the money from the drawer, the shop keep had very little. Why not?

So I began to wonder, how much cash is bandied about these days? Personally, I rarely carry cash, and if I do it is less than twenty dollars. Usually less than five, because if I had at least five then you'd better believe I would be on my way to a delicious Pizza Shuttle pizza and a large Cherry Coke. Aside from their pizza, which is easily the best way to spend five bucks, I can't think of anything else for which I would routinely need cash. Most places take a debit card, which is easier than writing a check, and you don't have to feel guilty about only spending 58 cents on a pack of gum and using your card. It eliminates lots of loose change and is easier to keep account of online, rather than writing it all down. Before I sound like a spokesperson, I'd like to say that sometimes I would rather have cash money, because then I wouldn't feel so poor.

I do know people regularly make purchases with cash, but the debit card is becoming more and more common. I don't have any hard evidence, but I'm willing to bet that a majority of people make a majority of their purchases, even trifling amounts, with a little piece of plastic in which is embedded a magnetic strip that holds the numbers to their little fortunes. Therefore, my conclusion would be that the number of robberies must be down because of the lack of a substantial take.

This is a perfect time to show why I will never be an investigative reporter. I'm curious and all, and I do have easy access to lots of probing minds and authoritative reporting sources at work, but I do not have the attentive endurance for such endeavors. The moment something else took my fancy, I would drop this quest like a hot potato. Yet, even without definitive proof, I'm gonna go ahead and rest easy the next time I'm in line at a Macy's.

Give me yer money!

No comments: