Monday, January 7, 2008

My doppelgänger

We all think about weird stuff from time to time. Here's what I thought of today:

Sometimes other people say you look exactly like someone they just saw walking down the street, sitting in a cafe, or juggling bowling balls aflame in some back alley. However, when you go see for yourself you are disappointed. Why? Not because they don't look much like you (they don't), but because you actually wanted to have a double out there. It would be kind of sweet, right? I mean you would share a physical identity, and therefore could get into all kinds of mischief. I wonder how often identical twins do this?

Well, I thought, what about someone with the same name and birthday? They won't look like me and therefore won't be as cool (which is based on the understanding that all people who don't look like me aren't as cool as me). So my immediate thought was that they would probably be a jerk, loser, sourpuss who sucks. Then I wouldn't want to have the same name and birthday. Who would?

But what if they didn't suck? I mean, odds are that they would, but what if, you know? I would completely be okay with this. If some paper doppelgänger were a badass gentleman with a mysterious mustache and piano playing skills, then I would want to meet him and see if we could be best friends. And I would have to assume that we would be.

If he was cool, then sharing a name and birthday somehow makes us like kin, in my book. I would get him out of jams and he would do the same for me, no questions asked. And we could because we have the same name. Don't look alike? Doesn't matter, check out that driver's license - it says Bravo de la Tromeo, and how many people do you know with a name that weird? Probably only one, and I'm him. But I would know better and give a little wink to whatever pretty girl is standing by. She will be upset by this, but that's okay.

My whole point in thinking this is that if someone who had my name and birthday and was freaking sweet, then would he think the same of me? Would he be an older, wiser version of me? Would we become a covert crime-fighting team, posing as world-renowned magicians and stuntmen? The answer would have to be yes.

Otherwise what kind of world do we live in? Is that what we want for our kids? Vote for Barack Obama.

1 comment:

mark said...

Dude, this is gold. Serious.