Monday, January 21, 2008

Laising on a Monday Afternoon

It's a national holiday today, but still some people have to go to work. I'm sitting at home, just a little bored, and am still lounging about in my vagabond outfit, although I did take a shower. Also, I just put a frozen pizza in the oven after eating a drumstick ice cream cone, and it's 2:30 in the afternoon! I feel like I'm getting away with something. Like I'm really supposed to be at work, and I'm hiding out at home, but no one is going to come looking for me.

This happens to me a few times per semester, because I have to work six Saturdays during these fifteen weeks, which leaves me off on the following Mondays. I look outside and see all of the cars are gone from my apartment parking lot. Some maintenance guys are walking around, fixing stuff and generally doing their jobs. But not me. I'm at home, watching a movie in the middle of the day!

This is unfair, but I just assume that most of the world has the same 8-5 work schedule like me. So when I have to leave work during the day for a doctor's appointment then I wonder what on earth all the other people are doing driving around at 10 in the morning. Do they all have doctor's appointments, too? I enjoy my job, but sometimes I feel like it is prison. I get furloughed for some special reason (like going to the doctor) and I'm free, if only for an hour or two. I have to go back, or else they'll put out an APB and I'll be spotted trying to cross the border at night.

They'll send me back, but I won't have the cushy job I once had. I'll be reduced to shelf reading by myself for days upon end. At the end of solitary, I'll go back to working in reference, but this time I'm just checking catalogs to see what we have and what we don't. I'll be given the choice - behave and work my way back up to where I was with a nice office and business cards, or continue to go AWOL and be stuck doing pick-ups for ever.

Jobs aren't supposed to feel like prison. Most people probably like their job better than being behind bars. But we are all dependent on them for money, which comes in handy from time to time. Yet, on these days off, when I see that other people aren't working when I am, I start to wonder. What would Jeff Lebowski do?

3 comments:

mark said...

I find that when a situation is bleak, the little pleasures in life become much easier to appreciate! So next time you're chompin' down on a Mrs. Freshly's, ask yourself: would this Creamy Curl taste as great if I were, say, a freelance architect?

Mr. Fairbanks said...

You're right. It's the little things in life...http://www.comics.com/comics/peanuts/archive/peanuts-20080123.html

What I wouldn't give for a creamy curl right now! Well, probably not my dignity.

Anonymous said...

that's actually the difference between a job and a career. A career is something that becomes part of your life, and you're fortunately making money in the process. A job is for the sole purpose of making money to stay alive and well, and usually feels like a prison once in awhile, if not always. This is why it is good to find something you would otherwise be doing for nothing, and make it into an income. For instance, might I suggest filmography.