Saturday, March 29, 2008

This mux's for you

http://duder.muxtape.com

That's me. These are all film score tracks except for Marry Me Moses and Chet Atkins.

I was thinking about posting this, and, though I ultimately decided to do so, I had misgivings about the long-term usefulness of its description since the tracks in the mix will someday change. Just like most of what is on the Internet, the first part of this post will be irrelevant soon. When I change the music selections, the description above will remain a simple curiosity until Google decides to kill all of their hosted blogs.

I wonder what the future will have in store for all of our Internet creations? This is not a minor problem for librarians right now, and the idea of it is giving some people premature ulcers. I'm sure the next generation of historian won't have any problem finding lots of material to sift through, but I wonder if they will be bothered by the fact that so much of our ideas caught in digital form will have been casually or carelessly erased. Most people just don't write emails or publish blog posts or create web pages with the mindset that it will someday be a valuable piece of the puzzle to our time. Nor should they, really.

Archivists are taught to know what to keep and what to jettison. They know that their resources aren't enough to capture everything, and that their value is to preserve only the important and useful bits for people who want to discover and understand the history of mankind's efforts in time. I think this task is much easier when the material is scarce. That we have so much is what makes preservation so difficult. No one can be the custodian of all its enormity. No one could get through it all with an intelligent understanding of the completeness. It would take degrees of lifetimes. So until our quantum computing can analyze our semantics and linguistics as well as a developed human brain, I guess I'll just have to know that my writings here are destined for consumption and nothing more. That's all I could hope for, anyway.

2 comments:

mark said...

Yeah! Tell Caleb to hurry up with that quantum computing stuff!

Jon said...

Thanks for posting this. Your musical selection helped me persevere through finishing a homework assignment. And I don't consider your blog something to consume and nothing more. For me, it is a way to keep abreast of the life and times of a dear old friend.