Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Man and Machine

Gee, what to say? What to write about? Have I been too busy or too bored? Maybe both. But I did experience a unique feeling tonight that I haven't had since I've moved down to Texas. Tonight I felt like I belonged, like I wasn't a stranger.

Last September I moved down here after living in Kansas for the entirety of my life. I was excited to be in a different place, but for whatever reason, wasn't adventurous enough to declare it my own and take advantage of all life had to offer. I remained very timid, like a little bunny quivering in its cage. My job is great and that helped a lot. The people I work with are very nice, but I couldn't just insert myself into other people's social lives. Not with my (lack of) skillz, anyway.

So, weeks and months went by, and I said yes to any social opportunity that blew my way. Still, I hadn't taken the initiative and behaved like a person who owned his own life. For a long time I felt like I was living in a foreign country, not content to ramble about because I'm afraid of getting my hands cut off for jaywalking. For some reason, I've felt this way all of my life whenever I visit another state. Understandably, all of the states in this country are united and adhere to a similar core system of laws, but still they differ ever so slightly. Don't ask me what my guilty conscience is all about, because I don't have the foggiest.

Well, starting last month, I made some giant strides. I mentioned to my boss that the Nintendo Wii was possibly the funnest thing to do, ever. She just happened to have one that she wasn't using and wondered if I would enjoy it for her while her new house is being built. I told her that I wouldn't have a problem with that. Then a rumor spread around work that I was going to have a slammin' party that centered around Wii fun and record playing. Since I'm not the kind of guy who wants to disappoint people, I decided to oblige, inviting all the people in my department. Most everyone came, including the oldsters, and they all enjoyed the unifying pleasures of the Wii and ultra lounge spinning on my hi-fi. The night was so successful, a sequel is in the works. Plus, it got me over the hump of having multiple peoples over to my place. Now I just need non-work folkle.

Also last month, someone struck me from behind. This was a weird way meet another person, but it was something. Eventually her insurance company decided that my car was a total loss, so I had to decide on what should replace my faithful transpo. I eventually decided on a fun, guy's car, since I've only ever driven four-door sedans all of my life (save for my sweet-ass '82 S-10). So tonight I took my new car for a spin. It's incredibly fun to drive, and I wanted to stretch it out on the highway. As I was leaving town, I noticed a little twinge of Aw, I'm gonna miss you, San Antonio. I remembered getting lost on this very highway several months ago, thinking that I would stumble upon a drug deal gone bad in the middle of nowhere. But this time I was totally comfortable with the highways, stores, bright lights, big city anarchy, and all that stuff. I'm familiar enough that I feel like I belong. Like it's my city, too.

However, like many expatriates of certain states, I'm not sure that I will soon come to feel like a Texan. I still have many great friends and loving family members in Kansas that occupy my heart, so I shall have to keep on guard a little while longer. For the meantime, however, party at my place! We can play some Wii and go driving with my new pal, Sheila.

6 comments:

Jon said...

Pardon my crude language, but damn, that is a sweet-ass ride! Although I still like my Vibe.
Jessica says that your car is a total chick magnet. I say that it's a dude magnet, too. Watch out, my man.

Mr. Fairbanks said...

The salesman asked me if I had a girlfriend, and I told him that I did not. "Well, you will now..." Ha! That's so seamy, yet cool, at the same time.

mark said...

When someone tells you, "Don't mess with Texas," you just tell 'em, "Rock Chalk, cowboy!" Then jack him one!

Mr. Fairbanks said...

F'n A!

Anonymous said...

I'll trade you my '66 Mustang convertible that I no longer own for your car. Cool?

By the way, nice work.

Mr. Fairbanks said...

Yeah, totally cool. But you have to come down here.