Friday, October 16, 2009

Dreams

I awoke this morning in a terrible state. I was confused and alarmed, based on the dream from which I just left.

I was going over an assignment. Wait, it is due today. I had a book that I hadn't read. The assignment, I thought, was to write a short bit about some topic in the book I liked. The book was about...(and now I forget). But I had a good idea in my head on how to bullshit a few pages out of that idea.

Then the horror came, as I looked closer at the assignment, which was several pages long. It was as if I hadn't read it before, as if I just made it up in my head. I needed to write a ten page paper on a topic the instructor had selected (there were ten to choose from). Also required were at least 5 scholarly articles and 5 book sources to support my arguments. Now I was faced with something that would take all of my energy!

I was prepared to sit at my computer for the next 3 hours and write and write, but not think. Now I had to think and choose a topic, go to a database and find some info (which I know how to do, thankfully). But what if the articles I need aren't available immediately? I have no time for ILL! And how am I supposed to get at these books? Read/skim them? Find all of the ideas and then formulate my own?

I only had five hours until class. This was impossible. I didn't panic, though. I went straightaway to depression. Then weaseling. What could I say to buy more time? Could I just call in sick? Have a friend hit me (ever so gently) with his car? Fill the classroom with a chemical smell that would induce vomiting? I needed to either get class canceled for everyone, or just me. But then I still had to do this assignment, somehow, real soon.

And then I woke up, realized I wasn't a college student, and had no such pressing troubles. I need to stop working the reference desk at night.

Damn you, lazy students!

1 comment:

mark said...

Evening university library reference desk workers represent! I've got students coming in to do group assignments--the night before they're due--on one of TWO computers on campus that have the necessary software, only to be outraged when a) both computers are taken or b) the software isn't working. No waking up from that problem!