Monday, July 20, 2009

It Was The Best of Times

Last week I went to running camp in Vermont. It was an entirely wonderful experience.

My friend, Jason, said that within one day of attending last year he knew I would love it, and he was right. I almost didn't go, for financial reasons, but a wise colleague of mine encouraged me to enjoy life while I can. It was within reason to do so, therefore I went.

Running camp conjured up strange visions before I went. The only camp I had previously attended was church camp as a wee lad. That did not endear me to the prospect. For me, camp was nothing but an adolescent nightmare, or so I recall. But I was assured that it was completely fun and worth it. Boy was it ever.

We ran, we learned, we met new and terrific people, we were coached and guided into the finer qualities of running performance and training, we ate, drank and were merry. For those of whom running is a natural passion, this place is a great boon to the soul. It completely jump-started my confidence and desire to press on with my running. Not only as a way to drive towards a goal, but also as a way to feel more comfortable with myself. I feel that I am much happier after running; it is something I need to do. Writers write. Readers read. Runners run.

The people were amazing. All of the other campers ranged widely in age and personality. Even though we all share the same sport, we all had different strengths and weaknesses. Everyone welcomed each other and liked conversing with strangers. By the end of the week, I felt that I was with a small class reunion. When it came time to leave, it was like leaving college buddies behind. Although I didn't get to talk with everyone equally, I'm positive that we all would have had a great time for weeks to come.

The coaches made all the difference. They taught me how all of the ingredients for running that I had been around over the years made sense into one big recipe for me. Some things needed tweaking - some more, some less. When I left, I felt I had success within my grasp; all I need to do is execute.

Also, I must say that Vermont is gorgeous. It is the only New England state which I have visited, but it seems like the closest the US has to Switzerland. The mountains aren't as tall, but they are very beautiful. Brilliant shades of green abound. It was quite a contrast from drought-stricken Texas with all it's browns, and also quite a relief.

I feel so enthusiastic and happy to have a running goal. I plan to run the San Antonio Marathon on November 15. We'll see if this unbridled optimism lasts the coming months, when I have to go out running past dark or in the intense heat, and especially when I've worked twelve hours day in and day out. I hope I fight the good fight. Here's to the future.

And to the sea!

3 comments:

mark said...

To the sea! Do it, son!

Anonymous said...

GO JEFF GO!!!

EthanG said...

You can DO it...!!!